Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Spring in Abu Dhabi

This spring was not particularly in the 'stop and smell the roses' camp - I was planning an overseas move, trying to wrap up my job and still keep this family functioning.  I managed a few snaps of a few moments but I probably missed as much as I caught!

Anna is really not so sure about this whole ice skating thing at a birthday party.  Poor thing - I had to abandon her here as Jake was traveling and I had to get other kids elsewhere.  The sweet dad of the birthday boy helped Anna get around.  She ended up having a great time despite this early pensive look.

I think the Easter bunny realized that mom might want to sleep in a bit longer so he *crazily* hid the eggs in a completely different spot in the house (so different that the kids thought he didn't come!).  The eggs are *always* hidden downstairs and this year it was upstairs.  Sundays are normal work and school days here and Jake was traveling this year so not our biggest Easter celebration but clearly the girls still enjoyed it!  


We couldn't find Meredith's Easter basket so she had to use a gift bag!  Of course, when we got ready for the movers, it was *exactly* where I told Meredith to look...  well, at least we found it

the loot




Guess where I am???  I was able to go to Saudi Arabia for work and was so excited to do so.  You can tell that I didn't have to cover my hair (just like Michelle Obama, Angela Merkel and Melania Trump did during their visits), but I did have to wear an abaya (the long black robe over my clothes).  My sweet but crazy Saudi/ Syrian friend loaned me two gorgeous abayas to take with me.  It's not easy to get a visa to Saudi Arabia so it felt a bit exotic to go.  And now that I've gone through the visa process, I have one valid for the next five years if I want to go back!

So this gorgeous setting is in the Ritz Carlton in Riyadh. So no alcohol, no Bibles and no women drivers but plenty of opulence.  Rex Tillerson was there when I was there (and this was where Trump stayed a few weeks later). 

One last photo of me before I shed my abaya (as soon as I got on the plane). Glad to get it off and glad we don't have to wear these in Abu Dhabi. 

Spring cycling and scooter-ing with the family in our neighborhood

Some of my work colleagues and me on our volunteer day - we worked with the Middle Eastern branch of Junior Achievement teaching girls about entrepreneurship.  We worked with a great group of girls from what seemed to be a relatively conservative school (probably 80% wore the hijab (head covering) and they all wore long skirts (so I wouldn't include photos of them).  They were smart and quite the firecrackers.  I think many in America would be surprised by the strength and energy of what seem to be conservative Muslim women.

I'm off to my 20th business school reunion!  Have our original 'facebook' from our school!

Reunited in Chicago with dear friend Maggie and her windy but picturesque roof top garden

This is completely ridiculous but I think this is the only photo I took at the actual reunion - 2 days of non-stop activities and I took one(!) photo???  Friends from the reunion, please send me some of yours!!!  But it was great fun getting to see so many people from 20 years ago.  Many familiar faces and some that took me a while to remember but overall a great weekend (and I was able to pop through Washington DC and look at houses!)

A great welcome home art from the girls when I got home.
Jake took the girls to our cool new local park (with food trucks, free yoga classes, outdoor movies, etc.) - it's a great park when we can find the time to get there

The park at night - gorgeous setting and within walking distance of our house!


Jane's grade at school organized a trivia night to raise money for a cause they feel strongly about (Operation Smile).  The kids did everything - food, drinks, service, great trivia night idea, etc. 

So we might have gotten a bit into the whole competition thing.  2nd place!!  Whoo-hoo!

Out scooter-ing when the weather is still pretty nice and the sunsets turn the sky a beautiful pink

Dinner at my friend Meg's house - the sun going down has special significance during Ramadan so we definitely appreciated the sunset and view even more that night

Now the sliver of moon has come out, too

A few members of my fabulous book club - we come from the US, Italy, Jordan, New Zealand, Germany and the UK.  Love, love, love the different perspectives and love of reading and literature of this group.  I will miss them deeply.
More of us but we didn't think to take this until after Rana left - so no full photo (sadly)
Regan decorated Jane's mirror in inspirational sticky notes

I particularly like this one!


No comments: