Monday, July 20, 2015

Arkansas, camp and a quick trip to San Francisco

Our annual tradition (like many expats in the UAE) is to head "home" for a good part of the summer - to visit friends and family as well as get a break from the UAE summer heat.  Now that the girls are older, the trip has gotten *so* much easier!  It can be hard and a bit flustering to live out of a suitcase for much of the summer, but it's gotten easier as the kids have gotten older.  The girls and I flew over on our own while Jake stayed in Abu Dhabi.  We saw lots of family members and had a lot of fun Arkasnas adventures.  Jake came over to the U.S. for work and met me in San Francisco for a few days.  We then went back to Arkansas, fetched the kids from camp, said good-bye and then went East to see his family.

Here are some photos of our time in Arkansas apart from our special extended family gatherings which are in separate posts.

Sticker books at the airport.  Anna's favorite way to kill time on a plane or in an airport.

Girls *loved* the extra tall escalator to the airport train at the Dallas airport

Jetlag strategy #202?  Throw the kids in a pool when they are almost comatose with tiredness at the wrong time - perks them up and helps them stay up a little longer so that they actually sleep at the right time instead of the middle of the day.  We're on top of the airport hotel at DFW.  We then ate pizza and then crashed at the airport hotel.  Jane and I got a terrible night's sleep but the others did pretty well.  We then flew on to Little Rock the next morning.
Regan - my little bookworm (just like her mama and her Gammy)
Jane prefers Mindcraft or Roblox on the iTouch to kill time.  Meredith bounces between all three activities (stickers, reading, itouch games)

First U.S. lunch??  Chick-Fil-A - take-out at Grandma Bernice's

My girls with my grandmother (their great-grandmother).  Grandma is looking A-M-A-Z-I-N-G at 97!

Enjoying a rainbow up at Gammy and Poppy's Petit Jean mountain house over the Arkansas River
In Hot Springs on Lake Hamilton with dear friend and college freshman roommate, Tara, who I haven't seen since I was pregnant with Regan.  Our kids had a fabulous time together!

On the lake



Three of my kids (Meredith stayed with Gammy  and Poppy) and Tara's three kids - great buddies after a couple of days together
Laura and Tara - felt great to talk... and talk.... and talk... for hours and after too many years.
One last game (Duck Duck Goose) before we drive off

Made it to Cedar Falls at Petit Jean State Park

Cedar Falls hike

We all made it back to the top!


Cedar Falls waterfall on Petit Jean Mountain

My little adventurers

Jane

Regan



Hot dog party!  With a view.

A little dance performance after our cook out

Look who lost a tooth on this trip!

Meredith and Gammy - s'mores!


Fresh grilled corn


Bedtime story



At Uncle Tim and Aunt Vanessa's amazing historic home in Little Rock about to take Jack for a walk

Dinosaur exhibit at the Clinton Presidential Library

Laurasia!  Huh, who knew??

Meredith hatching

In the Oval Office replica.  We watched the short movie about Bill Clinton's presidency and Regan got a little teary-eyed (and patriotic)!


Historic Central High School near Tim & Vanessa's house - an important civil rights location

Jack and Jane are tight buddies


Look!  Thanks to my community minded sister-in-law and brother who are quite the about-town folks, I made the society page only hours after I landed in Arkansas!  I was able to attend a great event organized by the Historic Preservation Alliance which is led by Vanessa.  I don't *think* I look like I haven't slept in more than 24 hours....
Museum of Discovery, Little Rock

Petting a hedgehog

The science museum has this wonderful Clue game like challenge.  The girls did it once and then had Gammy and me give it a whirl.  It was challenging as you can see by my perplexed face!

Meredith lost a tooth at the science museum

Back on Petit Jean Mountain

Dancing on the lawn

Jane taking it all in

Jane getting introduced at camp

Kanakuk camp time!  Meredith getting introduced

Meredith and one of her counselors

Meredith's barn

Regan and one of her counselors

While the kids were at camp... Jake and I met in San Francisco.  Wonderful time with dear friends.  Here we are with Jon, Laney and their two kids

The ladies

All the grown ups

Me with Sandra - who generously hosted a wonderful friend gathering at their new house in Atherton

Mill Valley waterfall hike

I love how we can just stroll out from downtown Mill Valley and get to *this*!

View all the way to the ocean once we got to that point


Anna made a great sign for all of us after she had a few days of Gammy and Poppy all to herself

Jake first trip to Branson!  We went to a quintessential Branson country music show and this was the cowboy rope guy

Camp pick up time.  The girls of Barn 2 (Meredith's barn)

Meredith getting her award.

She also got a camp-wide "Invisible Hero" award

Jane's Barn 8 girls

Jake's first trip to Kanakuk, too



How great is this picture!  Anna with Jake, Poppy and Uncle John.  She planned a party when everyone else was gone, mailed invitations to her sisters at camp, bought decorations and planned games.

Minion Anna and Minion Gammy

Minions and balloons

So this is what an Anna-planned minion dance party looks like!  And I think I have that striped t-shirt on in about everyone of my photos!

Fish fry with Anna's fish!

Our family plus Grandma

Saying good-bye to Uncle Tim



No comments: